HOW TO HANG A PUNCHING BAG? LIKE A PRO!
If you do not like going to the gym, or you are too busy for the gym then you should consider hanging a punching bag in your home gym. No doubt, hanging a punching bag can be a hectic task but it is just a one-time job. Once it is hanged, you do not have to worry about it until or unless you want to make some changes or upgrade it.
There are many ways to hang a punching bag. But obviously, not all of them would be applied according to your home or needs. That is why today we are discussing some of the methods to hang a punching bag. You can select from below which one would be ideal for your home. So fasten your seatbelts and here we fly:
HOLD ON! Before we start, I have a piece of good news for you. Even though you do not have a basement or garage, you can still hand your punching bag in your home for boxing. All you have to do is to make sure:
- How much will the bag weigh when it is filled
- What kind of roof or ceiling you got in the area where you plan for hanging a punching bag.
I am bragging about it because there are different methods for different weighing bags. It is a risk because heavy bags can sometimes damage your ceilings. You can either simply hang them from the joist in the ceiling or you can opt for any heavy-duty mount or holder to hold your punching bag to the ceiling.
If you can not hang it to the ceiling for multiple reasons, you can go for after-market freestanding supports.
So, let us dive into more detail before you make any decision so that you do not end up damaging your own or your landlord’s roof-Because he might get a heart attack!
WHAT’S THE WEIGHT OF A PUNCHING BAG?
The weight of a punching bag heavily depends upon its filling. However, on average a home gym punching bag can weigh from 80-110 pounds. While those in the gym weigh around 200 pounds.
Now you just have to estimate that according to the weight of the bag, how much support does it need? And do not forget to add additional support for the intensity of your punches. Let us start:
HANGING THE BAG FROM THE CEILING JOIST
Chaining a heavy-weight punching bag over a ceiling joist is probably the best technique to hang it at home for boxing training. The ceiling joist supports your ceiling. It is usually a 2×6 board separated every 16 inches, although they can be wider apart and constructed of other sizes of wood.
You will need an open joist, such as one in your garage or basement, to hang the bag on.
If this is not the case, you’ll just have to locate the joist yourself before you can utilize it.
HARDWARE INSTALLATION TO HANG THE BAG
Okay, you have located the middle of the ceiling joist. Now it’s time to place the hardware on that joist then you can attach the bag and start beating right away.
You will need the following tools to do it for you:
- DRILL MACHINE
- PIPE WRENCH
Now, proceed as follow:
- Make a hole in the joist frame of the ceiling.
- In the opening, spin an eyebolt and compress it with a pipe wrench.
- Fasten the bag to that same chain, which is then connected to the S-hook.
- With the aid of another individual, lift the bag and attach the S-hook to the eyebolt.
- To make sure the bag is firmly in place, give it a couple of test knocks.
FIX IT IN THE CEILING MOUNT
Another great idea to hang a punching bag is to mount it to the ceiling. The method explained above is a bit tricky, requires some not-so-common tools as well as assistance from another person. Punching bag roof mounts include all of the equipment necessary to put the bag in your house. For the mount’s placement, all you need to do is locate a roof joist or supporting frame. To install the ceiling mount, you require:
- Drill machine
- Screw Driver
- Pipe wrench
Follow these steps to fix a heavy-duty ceiling mount:
- Hold the ceiling mount in position so you can indicate where the bolts should go.
- Make holes in the ceiling where you have designated.
- To install the mounting in the roof, use a screwdriver and/or a spanner.
- Step 4: Secure the bag and the S-hook with the cables or chains.
- With the help of another person, pull the bag and use the S-hook to put it on the mount.
After mounting the punching bag to the ceiling, carefully give it a few hard punches to check if it is firmly in place or not.
MOUNT IT ON THE WALL
If you do not like to hang the punching bag to the ceiling, or you cannot. Then you should be looking for a wall mount to get the job done. When you buy one of these mounts, you will get everything you need, just like the ceiling mount.
The most essential thing to remember is that a wall mount for a heavy bag should never be installed in a gypsum wall. This approach should only be used on masonry walls.
To install the wall mount, you will need the following items:
- Drilling power
- Driver for screws
- Chains and a Wrench Bag
The following are the necessary procedures for mounting a heavy bag on a wall:
- Place the mount on the wall and note the location of the bolts.
- Drill holes in the indicated locations of the wall.
- Cover the holes with the mount and secure them with the supplied hardware.
- Connect the chain with the S-hook and the bag.
- With the help of another person, hang the bag on the wall mount.
Once you have the punching bag in position, make sure it is secure in the mount. To make sure the bag is securely in place, give it a couple of test punches.